The CPF supports projects in the following areas:
Preserving Greece's Island Paradises: A Call to Action and Why the Cyclades?
The Greek complex of the Cyclades is a unique archipelago comprising nearly 220 islets and islands, with 24 of them being inhabited and home to around 115,000 residents. During the summer, this number can swell seven-fold due to tourism.
The allure of these islands lies in their world-famous beaches, vibrant culture, delectable local cuisine, abundant biodiversity, and entertainment options. However, the splendour of the Aegean islands, attracting millions of visitors annually, raises vital questions about sustainability and conservation.
Challenges abound, from inadequate infrastructure and unregulated construction to the dearth of environmental policies. Concerns span water and energy consumption, waste management, primary production, local fisheries, environmental impact, pollution, and the overall strain on ecosystems. Additionally, the lack of education, awareness, and long-term planning for sustainable solutions looms large.
With unwavering confidence and a commitment to preserving the Cycladic islands’ unique history, culture, traditions, and environmental heritage while maintaining their status as a global tourist destination, the Cyclades Preservation Foundation (CPF) emerges as a driving force. The CPF seeks to facilitate sound planning and policies, foster robust collaborations, and establish networks aimed at promoting environmentally friendly management and development in the region.
At its core, the CPF’s mission revolves around empowering local communities and supporting sustainable, exemplary initiatives throughout the Cyclades.
Equity and Sustainability: The Cyclades confront an array of challenges, from the impacts of climate change and pollution to the relentless tide of mass tourism. Our unwavering commitment is to forge innovative solutions that safeguard the environment, bolster local communities, and secure long-term sustainability. The Cyclades Preservation Foundation (CPF) serves as a beacon, empowering local initiatives to address both immediate emergencies and future sustainability.
A Vision for Equitable Solutions: The Greek islands, including the Cyclades, represent unparalleled environmental assets. To this end, we propose the following:
1. Marine Conservation: Establish marine parks to shield coastal areas and marine ecosystems. CPF lends its support to projects like Amorgorama, promoting sustainable fishing and marine conservation. Posidonia Alert takes the helm in educating boat owners about the critical importance of Posidonia meadows.
2. Sustainability: Advocate for sustainable tourism by providing resources like the Posidonia Alert sailing guide. Our educational programs in local schools ignite a passion for sustainable practices.
3. Biodiversity Preservation: Allocate funding to initiatives raising awareness about waste management and biodiversity conservation. We collaborate closely with experts and local communities to rekindle natural biodiversity.
4. Local Identity: Champion initiatives dedicated to preserving the unique local identity of each island.
5. Environmental Education: Fund programs aimed at heightening awareness of marine conservation, sustainability, and biodiversity.
Our proposals bear a dual purpose: safeguarding the environment and celebrating the distinct local identities that enrich these island paradises. Stand with us in our endeavour to preserve Greece’s natural treasures and champion the cause of sustainability. If you should like to contribute to our cause, please head over to our donation page εδώ.