CPF joins forces with the environmental organizations MOm, ARION, Naxos Wildlife Protection Association and Alkyone- Aegean Wildlife Hospital for the establishment of a Regional Information Network for the Rescue of Wildlife in the Cyclades!
Increased incidents of wild animals in need of rescue and rehabilitation on the Cycladic islands, lack of adequate knowledge by the local authorities as well as, coordinated discussions amongst environmental protection NGOs and the relevant national Authorities regarding the necessity of well-established information and rescue networks for the recuperation of wildlife and the collection of valuable data of their populations and their habitats, has resulted to the acknowledgement of the need for the establishment of a regional information network for wildlife rescue in the Cyclades.
This regional network unifies four national and regional environmental organizations each with their own expertise in certain species, and the Cyclades Preservation Fund (CPF), in the common goal of coordinated actions in protecting wild life in the Cyclades: Naxos Wildlife Protection with an expertise in sea turtles, Alkioni-Aegean Wildlife Hospital with an expertise in wild birds, ARION-Cetacean Rescue and Rehabilitation Research Center with an expertise in cetaceans and Mom-Hellenic Society for the Study and Protection of Monk Seals with an expertise in Mediterranean monk seals. The network will make use of and build on the contacts of all entities in the region, complementing and supporting each other and resulting in a combined Cyclades Wildlife Coordinated Network.
The value of such a network is precious: an information and rescue network will not only provide the information necessary for the focusing of research activities targeting certain species that result in the formulation of specific and effective protection measures, but it will also allow for the timely location, immediate rescue and rehabilitation of individuals of these species in need of care and identifying important health issues.
The aim of this initiative is the improvement and dissemination of knowledge on the status, threats and needs of wildlife in the Cyclades by the local community, authorities, experts and visitors, as well as the significant improvement of conservation and health status of key wildlife species in the Cyclades.
- Establishing of a Cycladic Information and Rescue Network for Wildlife that enables the creation of a hub of trained volunteers in each island.
- Increasing public awareness of issues faced by wildlife in need, in the Cyclades.
- Promoting expert and active citizen participation in marine conservation efforts.
- Offering training and practical support to local and regional authorities for immediate response in cases of injured/sick/orphaned/entangled wild animals.
- Collecting and providing seasonal and yearly regional data in national and European relevant wildlife stranding and sighting databases.
- Making the network and the application for the accurate and immediate reporting of animal sightings known to the general public and giving guidelines for the rescues.
ΕΧΕΙΣ ΕΔΡΑ ΣΤΙΣ ΚΥΚΛΑΔΕΣ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΛΕΙΣ ΝΑ ΕΚΠΑΙΔΕΥΤΕΙΣ ΩΣ ΕΘΕΛΟΝΤΗΣ?
ARE YOU BASED ON ONE OF THE CYCLADIC ISLANDS AND INTERESTED IN JOINING THE CCfW NETWORK AND BECOME A VOLUNTEER FOR US?
Παρακαλούμε, συμπλήρωσε την φόρμα εκδήλωσης ενδιαφέροντος (στα ελληνικά)!
Please, fill in this registration form (in Greek)!
ΣΥΝΑΝΤΗΣΕΣ ΕΝΑ ΑΓΡΙΟ ΖΩΟ (ζωντανό, τραυματισμένο ή νεκρό) ΣΤΙΣ ΚΥΚΛΑΔΕΣ?
DID YOU FIND A WILD ANIMAL (alive or injured or dead) IN THE CYCLADES?
Παρακαλούμε, συμπλήρωσε την κατάλληλη φόρμα παρατήρησης (στα ελληνικά)!
Please fill in the right observation form (in Greek)!